It’s called the Pico de Gallo Quinoa Salad because it combines the fresh, tasty ingredients of pico de gallo with quinoa. It earns extra awesome points because it’s super filling (quinoa is actually a pretty high calorie food, in a good way) and it is also very light and refreshing in that “salad-is-refreshing” kind of way.
You will start with:
• 1 cup quinoa (any type)
First of all, quinoa is awesome. It’s a complex carbohydrate packed with protein and other good things, and is very easy to make. Simple rule: add 2 cups of water to every 1 cup of quinoa, bring them together to a boil then reduce to a simmer (little bubbles, low heat) and cover for about 15 minutes, or until all the water has evaporated.
Once you’ve got the quinoa is going, you can begin working on…
THE SALAD INGREDIENTS!
In proper “not-a-chef” fashion, mostly what is required here is chopping and mixing – things that pretty much any person can do.
You will need the following:
• 1/3 cup red onion (diced)
• 2 Tbsp lime juice
• 3 medium tomatoes (cut into small chunks)
• 1 jalapeño (seeded and finely chopped) Don’t touch your eyes or other sensitive parts. The seeds are where the sting is, so avoid them!
• 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped, including tender stems) Pack it in till you fill 1/4 cup.
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• Half a cucumber (cut into small chunks)
• Soak the onions in the lime juice to make them less harsh and more awesome.
• Mix everything up.
• Add olive oil.
• Add salt & pepper to taste.
Let your quinoa cool 5 minutes before mixing it in and you’re done. The flavors tend to mix really nicely if you let the dish sit in the refrigerator, so make a bunch and eat healthy for a few days.
I hope you enjoy!